Sunday, April 6, 2014

Italian Alps were waiting (again), had to get on my way!!!

Some of you may think it is overkill for me to make another blog about my on-going visits to the Dolomites.  However, if you are into the outdoors, you will understand.  If not, well at least you have some more beautiful pictures of the Alps and Ortisei. 







 












There is nothing like being up in the mountains; away from the hectic city life.  The calmness, the silence, and the enormousness makes you realize just how small you are in this world. 


I have been very lucky to be able to stay in Stuflesser’s B&B.  Stef and Christine have been very welcoming. Their B&B is very clean, the breakfast is wonderful, and you can’t beat the prices.  Here is their link:
http://www.salegg.com/

I was able to go cross country (cc) skiing during my January 18th weekend visit.  No guide, just by myself and the trails.  I felt reasonably safe since it wasn’t in the backcountry (and the trails were groomed). 

I have to say I have really enjoy snowshoeing more than cc skiing in the Italian Alps.  Perhaps it is because this area is known more for its alpine skiers and not so much for cc skiers.  That being said, I was rather disappointed with the trails.  Not groomed very well.  And the specific trail I went on was mainly a big circle.  I suppose I was comparing it a little too much to the beautiful cc skiing trails in Washington state - where you have lakes, bridges, and streams along a lot of the trails.  Despite that, it still felt great to cc ski again!!!  But perhaps I will stick to snowshoeing here instead. 
 
 

The area is massive. And unless you live here, or have been here several times, it is probably best to have a guide. They know the area with their eyes closed shut.  And will take you to some of the most astonishing beautiful backcountry that “visitors” are not aware of.   

That being said, during my February 14th weekend visit my guides from Catores were Willi (the first day), and Flavio (the second day). 

I believe Willi is the youngest guide of Catores - http://www.catores.com/cms/index.php?en_News.  Despite his young age, he is a very experienced mountaineer.  He loves leading foreign tours.  He shared with me the time he lead and climbed Mount McKinley, and what an epic time he had. 
 
 

He took me to Monte Rasciesa.  And the panoramic views are breathtaking.



April 6, 2014

I have been writing this last entry for sooo long now.  Every time I say I am going to sit down and finish it I don’t.  So I am cutting it short. 
 
 

The area Willi took me too was wonderful.  Not too brutal (as far as difficulty).
 
 

So the next day I was pretty stoked about Flavio taking me out.  Since I had gone the day before, I figured he would be nice to me (take me on a leisurely day of snowshoeing).  NEGATIVE!!!!  By the time we were finished, my body was sooo exhausted. 

Before we even began we had a one hour hike (perhaps a bit more) with all of our gear.  As we continued with our upward climb, I cursed at the buses that passed us with skiers inside.  It was then that I knew Flavio was not going to be lenient on me. 
 
 
The conditions were fierce; very cold and radically windy.  The sky was extremely gloomy and overcast.  Looking back, I believe we encountered getting hit with snow while we were in the backcountry.  To add to the terrible conditions, we were climbing to a higher altitude.  As we climbed, I could tell I had to breathe faster and deeper to get more oxygen in my body.  With the furious winds, there were a couple times I thought for sure I was going to fall down.  And no matter how hard I tried to keep up with Flavio I couldn’t.  He is a true mountain man!!!!
 
 
 
 
As the weather warms up, and the winter leaves us, I am incredibly melancholy.  I am making one more trip up there to get my last “fix” of the mountains and the snow for the season.  I am so thankful that Val Gardena received a huge amount of snowfall this year, and that there is still enough snow to go there one last time.  Like every time before I have no doubt I will have another epic trip!!!! 
 
Your mountain is waiting, So.…get on your way!- Dr.  Seuss
 

As always here is a link to the pictures from these few trips -   
https://plus.google.com/photos/118086643884541631322/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/118086643884541631322/albums/5997552066151275633

And for all you music lovers out there I have added a few more tunes on here as well (the Music tab).  Good stuff – The Killers, Arcade Fire (sis Vickie’s request), Silversun Pickups, Weezer, Angels and Airwaves, The White Strips, and TV on the Radio.   

Cheers,
~Jerrie J





No comments:

Post a Comment